This article is a list of all animal sanctuaries around the world. This article is also one that I’ve been postponing for years now. It’s the first thing on my list of things I want to write about and that list is in chronological order of ideas. I never started this article because this list will never ever be complete. But after all these years, I’ve accepted that. So, today I am just going to post this and from there on it will be a life-long project of adding (or maybe deleting) things. It’s a start.
Why a list of all animal sanctuaries around the world?
Ever since I went vegan, I took a stand against zoos. Zoos are unethical and I hope they will one day completely die off. So I never ever visit a zoo and would never recommend anyone else to do so. However, I do love animals, it’s one of the reasons why I went vegan after all. I love watching them, playing with them or just cuddling with them (this last thing is something I only like with specific animals, like my own dog haha). So, I was looking for an ethical way to watch animals in real life (watching them on tv is just different). And that’s when I found out about animal sanctuaries. An ethical alternative to zoos.
Are all animal sanctuaries ethical?
I think animal sanctuaries can be an ethical alternative to zoos. However, they do have to comply to a certain set of rules if you’d ask. One is that can only rescue animals. They cannot buy them anywhere, as that will only give unethical suppliers like farmers an income. Second is that they have to sterilize the animals. No breeding with animals is allowed, whatsoever. And lastly, they can not take any of the animal products the rescued animals have made (like eggs, milk, etc.). And of course they have to treat the animals very good, but I think shouldn’t have to mention that.
A list of all animal sanctuaries around the world
The list I am about to share consists of animal sanctuaries all around the world and they apply all the rules above that I just mentioned. The list is still quite short, because I am just starting out (and there are not that many good animal sanctuaries out there). This list is categorized by country, in an alphabetical order. If you have an animal sanctuary that is missing, give me a heads up!
Most sanctuaries don’t allow a lot of visitation. Usually only with an appointment or once or twice a year during a special day. I also included sanctuaries that do not allow visitation at all. Therefore, they are no alternative to a zoo. However, I do think that it’s important to list them here, as you can always support them or become a volunteer there. They usually need the help.
- Dierenopvang Lamana. Address: Oude God 15 in Rekem. Visitation is only possible if you make an appointment, but once or twice a year they arrange a special visitors day.
- De Zonnegloed. Address: Kasteelweg 22 – 8640 Oostvleteren. Visitation is only possible on specific days and times. You have to buy a ticket in advance.
- Elephant Haven. Address: 5 Rétabout, Saint-Nicolas-Courbefy, 87230 Bussière Galant. Visitation not possible.
- Koeienrusthuis Stichting de Leemweg. Address: Leemweg 10 in Zandhuizen. Visitation is only possible if you make an appointment.
- De Nobele Hoeve. Unknown. Visitation is not possible.
- Sanctuario la Candela. Address: Unknown, somewhere around Sevilla. Visitation is not possible.
The United States
- The Wild Animal Sanctuary. Address: 2999 County Road 53, Keenesburg. Visitation possible almost year-round.
- The Wild Animal Refuge. Address: 00431 County Road PP, Springfield. Visitation is not possible.
- The Wild Horse Refuge. Address: 24319 County Road 17, Craig. Visitation is only possible if you make an appointment.
- The Wild Animal Sanctuary Texas. Address: 3901 East Highway 114, Boyd. Visitation is only possible for active supporters of the sanctuary.
- Full Circle Farm Sanctuary. Address: 961 White House Pkwy, Warm Springs. Visitation is possible on specific days.